Sunday, August 6, 2023

The audience doesn't give you extra credit for reading from a facsimile.

 

"Yeah... but I would have enjoyed the concert so much more if they were reading from facsimile."

Said no one...  Ever.  

I jest-fully point this out because in the world of early music, whether it be performance or lutherie, we can adopt a dogmatic attitude that only  X   is acceptable and that somehow any other way is fakery, not legit or amateurish.  However, I would argue that it is the end result that matters.

So get out on stage and do what you gotta do.  Ready... go!

But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to get through the gig- not cheating mind you, but you figure out ways to make the process of music making smoother, from page to eye to brain to fingers, in order to deliver a better performance. 


OK, I will admit that I've written in chords symbols in jazz-style shorthand for a Bach cantata that I had to learn in a few days with one short rehearsal.  It helped me filter through the gazillion 16th notes on the page which were being played by the cellos around me.  The fact is, the audience was none the wiser and could be captivated by the sound of my theorbo and my stress-free demeanor.


But what about historical accuracy?


Let's face it, if we would be slavish about complete historical accuracy, then performers should only perform in period costume and abstain from bathing for several months- just to make the performance that much more convincing.  Everyone up to about the fifth row will be aware of you total dedication and commitment.


Le pew!


OK, so what about lute making?

As I've discussed before, modern lute-making presents modern builders with challenges.  Staying true to the art of lute making, as we live in a modern age, requires making various "compromises".  We have things they didn't have, such as electric light, electric tools like bandsaws, bending irons and glue pots.  Beside all that, other useful items the masters didn't have.  

"What is this sandpaper you speak of?"

The truth is, today's audience and modern lute players have an expectation of aesthetic perfection- far beyond what the old guys were familiar with.  But the market demands it... 

Today's luthiers be like:

"I don't use sandpaper...  Except when I do"


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment